Spring is a great time to reboot your health by including fresh local foods that help you feel renewed and shed strokes off your scorecard. With creamy avocados, crunchy carrots and so many other delicious foods to choose from, this is an excellent season to get more nutrients into your daily diet. Whether your goal is to lose weight, detoxify your body of processed foods or increase your energy, you’ll find the colorful ingredients and light meal ideas below to be helpful in achieving your health goals.
10 Seasonal Superfoods
- Artichokes – rich in the antioxidants silymarin and cynarin
- Arugula – filled with cancer-fighting phytochemicals
- Asparagus – great low-carb source of iron, magnesium, vitamin K and zinc
- Avocados – packed with potassium
- Carrots – excellent source of beta-carotene
- Eggs – rich in detoxifying sulfur-containing amino acids
- Fennel – high in immune-boosting vitamin C
- Spinach – filled with fiber, vitamin A, vitamin K, iron and folate
- Walnuts – abundant in anti-inflammatory omega-3s
- Watercress – loaded with phytonutrients that support detoxification
Quick & Easy Meals
- Poached eggs with salmon and asparagus
- Hard-cooked eggs with sliced tomatoes and avocado
- BLT sandwich with an arugula salad
- Club salad with spinach and watercress
- Chicken with carrots, cucumber, hummus and olives
- Pulled pork tacos with tomato salsa and guacamole
- Steak salad with watercress, tomatoes, olives and onions
- Salmon with asparagus, red peppers and mushrooms
- Chicken with roasted carrots and artichokes
- Shrimp salad with arugula, fennel, grapefruit and avocado
Pre-Round Breakfast: eggs with salmon and asparagus
On the Course Snack: baby carrots and hummus
Post-Round Lunch: chicken salad with beets, watercress, walnuts and feta
Victory Dinner: pulled pork tacos with tomato salsa and guacamole
Birdie Recipe: Broiled Asparagus
Enjoy this dish as a snack with slivered almonds, mixed in an omelet for breakfast or as a side dish with salmon and mushrooms.
1 pound asparagus spears, trimmed
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Lemon juice (optional)
Adjust oven rack to highest position and turn on broiler.
Spread asparagus into a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
Broil until fork tender, about 6 minutes.
Toss with olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt before serving.